google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Sunday, October, 15, 2017, C.C. Burnikel

Advertisements

Oct 15, 2017

Sunday, October, 15, 2017, C.C. Burnikel

TITLE: EATS UP

Husker Gary here, reporting  on the Sunday Edition of Puzzles With C.C. Today our peerless leader has given us a nice gimmick where the circles you see below in the puzzle contain hidden EATS that are running UP the grid:




Her reveal is not in the puzzle but rather in the title of EATS UP. Clever and fun.


Here are the Theme Answers where I decided to picture the inclusive activity as I'm certain you're familiar with the EATS that I will put in black boxes:


3. Track activity, to Brits : MOTOR RACING




6. Lava : MOLTEN ROCK - Who would be stupid enough to run up MOLTEN ROCK? Wait a minute...




11. "Lucky Guy" was her last play : NORA EPHRON - Famous for her "Chick Flicks"




14. Minnesota's annual one is held in Falcon Heights : STATE FAIR - It's about an hour's drive south of C.C.'s house




38. Time-out at work : COFFEE BREAK - Even in France




72. Boston Marathon Expo display : RUNNING GEAR - How 'bout strobe lights for visibility? 




76. "Tsk tsk" : THATS A PITY - One option




78. Pet shelter's concern : ANIMAL CARE - Too much?




82. Topper made from the jipijapa (hee pee HAH puh) palm : PANAMA HAT - The leaves of the palm with this beautiful flower




Now let's feast on the rest of C.C.'s bounteous word banquet:


Across  


1. Octopus octet : ARMS


5. Pro-__: fundraisers : AMS - Hey if you're Matt Lauer and playing in a PRO-AM, you're pretty happy to get paired with Michelle Wei!




8. Looks over quickly : SCANS


13. "Hey, you!" : PSST


17. Backyard raft : POOL FLOAT



BORZOI
20. Russian wolfhound : BORZOI and 12. PBS "Science Kid" : SID made up my one bad cell as I went with a Y instead of the I. 

21. Jazz home : UTAH - NBA team


22. "Just kidding" : NOT REALLY


23. On deck : ABOARD


24. Pasta sauce brand : RAGU - Created by Alberto Alvisi, the cook for the Cardinal of Imola, in the late 18th century 


25. Pandora genre : EMO


26. Annoyed : NETTLED


28. The Heart of Dixie: Abbr. : ALA 

29. They have strings attached : KITES

30. Comparable to a beet : AS RED


32. Gave the once-over : EYED


33. Driver's reservation? : TEE TIME - Also a putter's reservation


35. Run the country : REIGN


37. CDs and LPs : REC'S - We don't have an LP player anymore but I think our CD player works


40. Like two peas in __ : A POD



41. Supplied in a comedy skit, as straight lines : FED - Nobody did it better than George

44. The Pac-12's Golden Bears : CAL


45. LAX abbr. : ARR


47. Pitch indicator : NOTE - Knowing the NOTE doesn't mean you can 79. Carry __: sing on pitch : A TUNE


49. Supply with fluid : HYDRATE 


51. Safari runners? : MACS - As you can see, I am using the Safari Browser to blog this puzzle on my MacBook Pro




52. The puck stops here : GOAL - It's dangerous and scary when they go into the stands


54. Reasons for missing school : FEVERS


56. Article in Der Spiegel : EINE


57. Pink Floyd label : EMI


58. Iridescent shell lining : NACRE (NAY ker) - It can be beautiful




59. Biceps, for one : FLEXOR - Each FLEXOR requires an extensor




60. Soho stroller : PRAM


61. Perfect __ : TENSE


63. "The Piano" actor : KEITEL


65. Like a locked bathroom : IN USE



67. "Mmm, delish!" : SO GOOD - Yeah, that's what I thought of first too!

69. Japan is in it : FAR EAST


71. Fire starters : SPARKS


75. Team up : UNITE


77. Brand for cold sores : ABREVA




80. Was visibly moved : WEPT - Shortest verse in the Bible




83. Begin successor : SHAMIR - Yitzahk SHAMIR



85. Harry's love : GINNY - Harry Potter's main squeeze

87. Negative link : NOR


88. "Dies __" : IRAE - A true vet of the crossword wars


89. Tell the teacher : TATTLE


90. Where the Indus flows : ASIA - From the Himalayas to the Arabian Sea 


91. Org. for the Sky, the Stars and the Sun : WNBA


92. Went wild : RAN RIOT - New to me but makes sense




94. Sign of approval : SEAL - The siding on my house has this famous SEAL of approval

96. Chum, in Cherbourg : AMI


97. __ Majesty : HIS


98. Pueblo pronoun : ESA


99. -ish, after a number : OR SO 



101. Old theaters : RKOS - It appears a lot of sailors are at the RKO in Rochester, NY in 1964 to see Ensign Pulver

103. Firing offense? : ARSON

105. Big Sky Brewing Company home : MONTANA - I wonder if our blogger Montana has had a Big Sky product during the drought up there


108. PC key used in combinations : CTRL - I was wearing out CTRL+ALT +DEL when was was using PC products


110. Zoo keepers : CAGES


113. Lasting marks : SCARS - Some are not visible


115. Bench for a flock : PEW

116. "Casablanca" setting : MOROCCO - This is how Bogie could seem as tall as Ingrid Bergman in that setting

118. Kaplan Test Prep focus: Abbr. : GRE - Graduate Record Exam

119. "Funny joke!" : HA HA


120. Loud insect : CICADA - We have had a noisy fall with them







122. Flat across the pond? : APARTMENT 





125. Classic game consoles : ATARIS - Pong was very addictive when it came out

126. "This looks bad for us!" : WE'RE TOAST


127. Shelter adoptees : PETS - Our Lily's former home


128. Heat-resistant glass : PYREX


129. Drops at dawn : DEW



130. "Symphony in Black" artist : ERTE  - Said to be his most famous painting and the one most indicative of his style. Yeah, I knew that! 😏


Down


1. Temporary lack of inspiration? : APNEA - C.C. at her clever best! Inspiration here, of course, means breathing in


2. Shangri-La offerings : ROOMS




4. 35mm camera type : SLR


5. Wings, in zoology : ALAE - Plural of ALA (wing)


7. Like miso, typically : SALTY


8. Cry out loud : SOB


9. Many a University of Zagreb student : CROAT


10. Augusta National shrub : AZALEA - The AZALEAS at Augusta tell you spring is here!


13. Holiday in the month of Adar : PURIM

15. Guru : SAGE - Here's one (see the subtitle) that has a house 30 min. from me




16. As a result : THUS - Sic Semper Tyrannis (THUS always to tyrants)


18. Luxury handbag : FENDI - I know C.C. likes nice purses



19. President between Harrison and Polk : TYLER - He became president when Tippecanoe (William Henry Harrison) died a month into the office

20. Spoiled : BAD


27. Adam's garden : EDEN


29. Captain of the Adventure Galley : KIDD - Captain KIDD's boat was called the Adventure Galley or simply the Adventure


31. Sushi fish : EELS


34. Former FAO Schwarz parent : TOYS R US


36. Lady of pop : GAGA


39. Outstanding : STELLAR - There's this lady in Minneapolis who is a STELLAR puzzle constructor 


42. Sicilian hot spot : ETNA


43. View as : DEEM



44. Engraved jewelry item : CAMEO which is an  124. 44-Down shape : OVAL

46. Perfect game, e.g. : RARE FEAT - Baseball fans will immediately think of Don Larsen in 1956


48. Adam's love : EVE


50. Run over : REPEAT


51. Team covered at amazinavenue.com : METS - It's been a while since the METS have been amazin' 


53. Princess with a twin brother : LEIA


55. Permit to leave : EXIT VISA


58. Night light : NEON


62. Sotomayor replaced him : SOUTER - There's an ideological struggle rather than a legal one when replacements are named 



64. Mobile home : TRAILER - This would seem to be a tough city in which to sell mobile homes

66. Fix, as a pet : SPAY


68. Twist : DISTORT


70. Genesis creator : SEGA


73. Drawer openers : KNOBS


74. Toxin fighters : SERA


80. Finish line : WIRE

81. Mound stats : ERAS


84. K2 and Hood: Abbr. : MTS


86. Wax Ready-Strips maker : NAIR




91. "Easy there!" : WHOA


93. Charged bits : IONS


95. Bonkers : LOCO



100. Garage capacity : ONE CAR - Barely...

102. Juice bar freebie : STRAW


104. "Dilbert" creator Adams : SCOTT


106. Doctoral hurdles : ORALS


107. In the know : AWARE


109. Drew (in) : ROPED - I don't think I could be ROPED into buying the painting below


111. Max of Dadaism : ERNST - He and ERTE were only one year apart in age but their art seemed far apart




112. Sicilian seven : SETTE


113. Hit the mall : SHOP


114. Way into the mountain : CAVE


116. More, to Miguel : MAS - After being taunted by Sugar Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran reportedly said NO MAS and quit

117. Backstage staff : CREW

120. Limit : CAP


121. Fort in New Jersey : DIX - One M*A*S*H episode had all the crew pose for a picture to try to convince Klinger's mother that he was at Fort Dix not Korea 




123. Toon bartender Szyslak : MOE


After you ATE UP C.C.'s puzzle, let's hear your savory comments: 

31 comments:

PK said...

Hi Y'all! Alas, no circles so I failed to find the clever theme. C.C.'s puzzles are always full of little surprises, like little gifts to be unwrapped letter by letter until a word appears.

Enjoyed your expo, Husker.

Didn't know PBS had a SID.

Had to try several spelling for BORZOI and wasn't sure i had the right word. Thought there was an "H" in there. Isn't that dog on the ERTE poster a BORZOI? I think he had Russian wolf hounds.

Shoes before KITES. I do more shoe tying of strings than KITE flying.

Didn't get Safari runner = MACS, she said while writing on her IMAC while using SAFARI browser. Duh! Well, it's early and I haven't had any coffee. Wait, I don't drink coffee.

Harry's love? Oh, Potter, not Prince Harry. Didn't know either girl anyway.

Don't remember ever hearing the name SHAMIR.

Thank you to those who asked about my sister in Santa Rosa. We haven't heard any more.The last text she sent to my SIL said she had gone to stay with a friend who was later evacuated when the fire turned that way and she was back in a motel. SIL doesn't have the name of the motel so we're just waiting. I don't know if anyone would contact us if she doesn't make it or is unable to talk. Very weird situation with her always.

OwenKL said...

FIW¡ My last two cells were off-the-wall WAGs, SETTE+ERTE which was correct, and FErDI+ruTTLED which was wrong and had a mistake already¡ Turned on red letters, and discovered errors of ALAu and sEEM+FEs¡ Here I thought I was doing so well!
For once, noticed the theme-title on a Sunday, but it had zilch effect on my solving, and was so obvious and simple even PVX will probably approve of it!

The prescience of ... me : earlier this week this song from my childhood I hadn't thought of in years popped into my head from nowhere and persisted as an earworm!

There once was a miser named SCOTT
Who, altho he loved her a lot,
When asked by HIS girl
For a necklace of pearl,
Convinced her NACRE was just oyster snot!

A wide-EYED young lad from MOROCCO
Mixed espresso with HIS hot cocoa!
Said it made him AWARE
That at the STATE FAIR,
The deep-fried Big MACS were just LOCO!

{B-, C+.}

Anonymous said...

PK- I live in the middle of this monstrous hell of a disaster. 50,000 evacuated. 10,000 firefighters on the lines. 4,000 homes nothing but a pile of ashes... and counting. Multiple fires still raging. There are thousands without phone and internet connections. This may be your sister's problem.

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

How did I go wrong? Let me count the ways...no, there are far too many. Suffice it to say my WAGs weren't working. I was almost fed up with this one. At the end, RANKLED morphed to RATTLED, but never made it to NETTLED. FERDI looked as good as FENDI to me. Bzzzzt! DNF. Thanx, C.C. and Husker.

I've never been a fan of jipijapa music.

Anybody else try SALLY for Harry's love? Or PRADA for the handbag?

DIES IRAE: God is coming, and she is pi$$ed!

ONE CAR: Nobody, but nobody, has a one-car garage around here. We have no basements hereabout, so the garage becomes the storage shed. I've heard tales of people parking a car in one, probably apocryphal.

Big Easy said...

C.C., I didn't really 'eat this puzzle UP' but with the circles it was a no brainer as to the theme. The puzzle had a little for every type of solver. Old Xwords- ALAE & NACRE, Spanish, German, Italian, and whatever language PURIM comes from, women's basketball- SPARKS & WNBA, academics- GRE, ORALS, & CAL, golfers- Pro AMS, TEE TIME & PANAMA HAT, Japan- FAR EAST, SALTY miso & EELS, MTS & MONTANA, but I didn't notice any 'Frawnch'- THAT'S A PITY.

Thanks for explanation on GINNY and the SHANG-RI-LA hotel clue because I filled them through perps but was 'clueless' about what I had written.

Irish Miss said...


Good Morning:

Well, CC certainly gave us enough food for thought with this offering. The title alone made the solve easier and, I believe, the circles unnecessary. That said, I had w/o's aplenty: Red As/As Red, Tone/Note, Odea/RKOs, Up Next/Aboard (thinking baseball, ala CC), Shoe/Gear, Pitch/Tense, Eso/Esa, and Sally/Ginny. What other possible answer could there be to Harry's love, than Sally? Who the heck is Ginny? Ah, done in again by the Potter people, none of whom I know. I liked the Erte/Ernst crossing and my favorite clue was Firing Offense=Arson. Big CSO to Montana.

Well done, CC, thanks for an enjoyable solve and thanks, HG, for the sparkling summary and, as usual, stunning visuals; you never disappoint. (Although, you could have included a canine being spoiled, along with that kitty. 😈)

After reading the comments yesterday about "A Man Called Ove," I did some Googling for more information about the story line and came across an article about Tom Hanks starring in a remake of the original Swedish film. I'm going to order the book based on what I read and on the recommendations of my fellow Cornerites.

Have a great day.

Yellowrocks said...

I liked the theme. The NW was difficult for me. I finally got APNEA and ROOMS. Cute. MOTOR RACING took a while. METs or JETS? M. Safari runner/ MAC was a V-8 can moment.
SETTE was all perps. Ginny was perps and wags.
I can't carry a tune in a bucket.
My ex was into dog breeds, so I knew BORZOI. I also knew RAN RIOT.
I live in a condo and have a one car garage with no attic or basement. My son and I erected shelving along one side and across the back. I can fit in my Sentra, but nothing bigger. From Nov. to March I keep the floor space open for my car so I don't have to scrape frost. This keeps me from accumulating so much junk and encourages me to thin out the stuff. During the warmer months I relax this rule and park in the driveway.

KEITEL and LEIA did me in with the "I" being my Natick. Even an ABC run did not suffice. I never thought of Star Wars.

Anon and PK's sister, my thoughts are with all of you who are suffering from this horrendous fire.

Bill G said...

Thanks CC and Gary. I liked the theme but had a hard time being sure which were the theme words because they were vertical. A star in front of the theme clues would have been nice.

I didn't know FENDI. I tried Gucci.

(Irish Miss, if that was a real question, Harry, Ginny, et al. were characters in the Harry Potter books.) Big mistake by J. K. Rowling I think. Harry should have ended up with Hermione instead of Ginny.

Many years back when I was still an engineer, I got two free tickets to a Kings hockey game. They were excellent seats. At some point, the puck flew up and over the glass and into the stands, right under Barbara's seat. She shied away from it. I bent down to get it. The Neanderthal next to me threw his arm across my neck to block me while he digged the puck out from under my seat. Rats! I didn't care so much about the puck as being assaulted by the jerk next to me.

Go Dodgers!

Lucina said...

Another puzzle with a CSO to Steve! Thank you, C.C.! This was delish! Looking for the food helped in much of the solve.

Since I didn't make any headway at the top, I skipped around until finding a toehold at the east end with PURIM/PSST and STATEFAIR. (Ours is still continuing until next weekend.) That opened up the strand all the way down to REPEAT/RUNNINGGEAR/KNOBS/ERNST and EGG and FETA nestled in between. That easily took be across the bottom and then upward. I love Harvey KEITEL.

MACS/METS defeated me as to me Safari is in Africa and JAGS run around there. JETS is the name of a team. Right?

Thanks, Gary, for explaining APNEA which though I had it didn't think it through. And like others I was sure Harry's girlfriend was Sally. GINNY? GINNY who? Oh, Harry Potter, a book I've not pottered with.

Again, thank you, C.C. and thank you, Gary. Your animated commentary is a treat!

Have a magnificent Sunday, everyone!

Misty said...

I loved, loved, loved this delicious C.C. Sunday puzzle with all the delightful food circles! And I got almost all of it with just a tiny bit of cheating at the end! Yeah! What a great way to start a Sunday--many thanks, C.C. And loved your pictures, Husker Gary.

Have to run, but will check in again a bit later. By the way, the clue that fooled me the most was the "Bench for a flock." Of course I kept thinking birds, and so PEW didn't dawn on me until the end. Fun misleading, C.C.

I'll check in more later--have a great Sunday, everybody!

Picard said...

I always scan the clues for a reveal and forgot that Sunday puzzles have a title! Guessed the theme at EAT UP. Close!

Some serious WAGS at some Naticks. Got BORZOI/SID. Yes, could have been Y not I.

Tried YOYOS before KITES. Hand up for RATTLED before NETTLED. FENDI totally unknown and looked totally wrong. But I was wrong.

Other unknowns: ABREVA, KEITEL, SETTE

Clever clue for APNEA. Immediately guessed it had something to do with the literal meaning of "breathing in" but took some crosses to get the right word.

PURIM is a happy spring festival of my tribe. A celebration of the Jews escaping extermination by the ruthless King Haman of Persia. Esther is a hero in the story.
Big Easy: "PURIM" actually comes from Persian and means "lots" as in "drawing lots".

Here is more about Purim

Loved the NAIR video GIF Husker! What is it from?

FIR but would give full credit to those who missed one of those Natick crossings!

PK said...

Anon @ 6:22, my sympathy to your dire situation as well as all those displaced and now homeless and suffering in California. I am wondering if planes have been able to take off out there so that people could go elsewhere? I think the whole situation is so traumatic that making decisions would be difficult. My sis has been uncommunicative for years, however.

PK said...

D-O & YR: I am the only person on my block who uses the garage for my ONE CAR. Most have been turned into bedrooms, offices and storage. Mine is so narrow with storage shelves on each side, I have to be careful not to get a mastectomy from the side mirror every time I go in or out. Lots of thefts from vehicles lately here so I'm glad to have mine inside.

Jayce said...

I liked this puzzle. I'm always amazed at how CC comes up with so many clever ideas. Inspiration indeed! The last cell I filled was the M crossing MACS and METS, and that was only after I changed Perfect SENSE into TENSE, which makes perfect sense. At 1a LEGS had to become ARMS and at 29a LUTES had to become KITES. MUSCLE became FLEXOR due to EVE's influence and SHARON eventually became SHAMIR. I hate it when I can easily see a person's face in my mind but can't remember the person's name; that's what happened with KEITEL. Lot's of pleasure in this puzzle; a fun way to spend 45 minutes. Then, of course, more pleasure in reading Gary's write-up and all of your comments. Best wishes to you all.

Anonymous said...

How 'bout GOD for 70D?

inanehiker said...

Enjoyed the puzzle - a few times it made the theme answers easier as i went along once I was looking for the food items.

I read an interview of JK Rowling awhile back that said she in retrospect would have had Harry get together with Hermione instead of Ron Weasley's sister Ginny.

We dove down into cool temps last night with a rainstorm - but it will be good walking weather today.

Thanks HG and CC!

Misty said...

PK, I'll pray that your sister in Santa Rosa is okay. And also that you'll be okay, Anon 6:22.

Hungry Mother said...

Very nice puzzle, which took a long time to complete. The theme helped a lot, so I went for the food items as soon as possible. Some good solid wordplay mixed with some crosswordese and some crunch. I’m resting my legs after a 5K race yesterday and a 10K race today, so this was a nice activity that I could do with my legs up.

Chairman Moe said...

"Puzzling Thoughts":

I never received yesterday's paper, so the Saturday edition of the xword was not attempted. I had had a perfect record of solves through the week, but CC's Sunday ended that run

Just a few write overs, as ARMS - LEGS - ARMS in 1a; KEIFER - KEITEL in 63a; CLASP - CAMEO in 44d; CONTORT - DISTORT in 68d; PACIFIC - FAR EAST in 69a. The ones that I didn't let go of were:
LUTES, not KITES; LIDD, not KIDD; PURUM, not PURIM.

Ones I didn't get (Naticks) were: MACS/METS; FENDI/NETTLED.

Of course, my favorite solve was 123d, but it should've been clued: "Chairman" at the Crossword Corner

My MOE-ku for today:

Can having six toes,
On each appendage on legs,
Be called a RARE FEAT?

Anonymous said...

PK- In what area of Santa Rosa does your sister live in?

Coach J said...

Thanks CC for a fun puzzle. Stumbled around the Midwest for a little while but regained my footing when I figured out "carrot" in the circles of 3D. Favorite clue was 51A Safari runners...very clever!

Hope all in the path of those wildfires are safe...very frightening stuff. The Gatlinburg, TN inferno is still fresh for most of us in this area (our dear friends' cabin burnt to the ground)...how awful for all those affected by the wildfires, hurricanes, etc.

CanadianEh! said...

Great Sunday CW. Thanks for the fun C.C. and HuskerG.
My Saturday paper did not have the Sunday CW and I was forced to use Mensa. . .and no circles of course! Thus the theme eluded me but it didn't matter.

Hand up for Gucci before FENDI. My Safari runners were Gnus before MACS.
I RAN Amok before RIOT.
Clever cluing for APNEA , PEW and APARTMENT.
I saw CSOs for Montana, JAZZb and Chairman MOE.

I was sure that C.C. was thinking of baseball not music at 47A which delayed NOTE. She was into music (pitch again!) at 79A also but got to baseball at 81D ERAS. But she also managed to include golf (TEE TIME) and hockey (GOAL- although the puck should really stop at the Goalie-my son is one).

Thoughts and prayers for all those affected by the California fires.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

One bad cell today, but no cheats. For some reason "Sicilian" evoked Castilian instead of Italian, and I tried to force-fit a misspelled SEiTE. I thought that APARTMENi might be a language from across the pond from which we got "APARTMENT".

Like Picard I had yoyo before KITES. Like D-O, IM and Lucina I wanted sally, and didn't know who GINNY was. Bill G and I didn't know FENDI, but I didn't even remember Gucci - I wanted Coach. I didn't have strings attached to shoes, but like IM I had a shoe in the Expo.

Erased Fort Ord for DIX, and NOLA was my home for jazz. When I put in NOLA, I thought "here we go again". I had ET_(A or D) for LAX abbr. My sign of approval was Star (as in 5-star) before SEAL appeared. I was given a taste at the juice bar before they gave me a STRAW. I also corrected MORroCO - bad spellers of the world UNTIE!

Too many unknowns to list today. Thanks to CC and Husker Gary for a fun Sunday.

Mark S said...

Slogged my way through another great puzzle. Knew some, learned a lot and felt very good at the finish.

chefwen said...

I don't always do the Sunday L.A Times as I'm usually puzzled out after the N.Y. Times, but saw that it was a C.C puzzle and guessed that Gary would be Blogging it so I dove right in and was very pleased that I did. Most enjoyable puzzle with a STELLAR write up.

Thank you both.

Bobbi said...

Am I the only one shocked that "Black Symphony" did NOT refer to Duke
Ellington's classic film short voiced by Billie Holiday? Almost sacrilegious, in my mind. Toughie today. Too many referrals to pop culture (my weakest suit). Shoulda known when the first down was APNEA, quite misleading. Well, not a pleasing struggle today.

Anonymous said...

yes

Anonymous said...

most of us are inured. no longer shocked.

fermatprime said...

Greetings!

Thanks so much to CC and Gary!

Late to the party today. Woke up early. None of my three printers were working. Not ver good at Word Solitaire. Drat!

Enjoyed the puzzle! However, it took me a long time. Really need some sleep! One cheat.

Best answer: MACS!

Good thoughts to those near the fires!

Hope to see you all tomorrow!

Michael said...

I must have been the only one who had Fort LEE for a NJ base, but as usual the perps saved me from a fate worse than death,

About the California fires: if you check some of the aerial shots in Santa Rosa, you people east of the Rockies will notice how close together the lots and houses were (or, are). I see new housing going up in Fairfield where any two houses are only 6 or 7 feet apart.

ISTM that we have let the quest for housing density and profitability get in the way of keeping a safe protective distance between residences, and we Californians paid for it.

OakdaleFTL said...

I'm retired, and poor… But someone had ditched their copy of last Sunday's San Francisco Chronicle outside a regular stop of mine last night. This afternoon I combed through the sections until I found the crossword puzzles. I was delighted with C.C.'s effort: I almost solved it!
While I'll always miss Reagle I'll look for Burnikel's puzzles… The promise is there.
Thanks.
And thanks for this site, since page 51 of the paper, which had the solutions, was under a day's worth of trash before I started working the puzzles. :)