Theme: Edit - ED is added to the first part of each plural compound noun and formed three synonyms for "tired". Each new entry is then clued humorously.
20. Tired bowling groups? : BUSHED LEAGUES. Bush Leagues
38. Tired janitors? : DRAINED CLEANERS. Drain Cleaners
56. Tired groupies? : EXHAUSTED FANS. Exhaust Fans
Argyle here. A few trouble spots but an amusing theme. Seven X's on the way to a pangram.
1. Alter, as a pet : SPAY
5. Coif adjusted with a pick : AFRO
9. Less uncertain : SURER. More certain.
14. Bring under control : TAME
15. Bar sign light : NEON
16. Goodnight girl of song : IRENE. Recorded under one of those bar lights.
17. Poolside hue : AQUA
18. Big reference vols. : OEDs
19. Utah city near the Golden Spike : OGDEN
23. Unconvincing excuse, probably : LIE
24. Ballot markings : Xes
25. Not strict at all : LAX
26. __ Mahal : TAJ
29. Go on until : END AT
31. Buzzers around blossoms : BEEs
33. Cornfield construction : MAZE. They are very creative.
34. Antianxiety drug : XANAX. First released by Upjohn and now a part of Pfizer.
36. Relationship __: Facebook feature : STATUS
42. Automatons : ROBOTS
43. Refuge in a desert : OASIS
44. Physics particle : ATOM
45. It's pitched at camp : TENT
47. Security concerns : LEAKS
51. Beer, to a Brit : BEV. Short for Beverage.
52. Driver's license datum : SEX
53. Cooler in a cooler : ICE
55. Lucy of "Elementary" : LIU. On CBS.
60. Plastic alternative : PAPER
62. Give kudos to : LAUD
63. Common conjunctions : ANDs
64. Construction site sight : CRANE
65. Shoreline-altering phenomenon : TIDE
66. Item on an actor's résumé : ROLE
67. Scarecrow stuffing : STRAW
68. Vehicle in many a Jack London story : SLED
69. Black gem : ONYX
1. Place for ponies : STABLE
2. Anna of "True Blood" : PAQUIN. Canadian-born New Zealand actress. "True Blood" is on HBO.
3. Brought a smile to : AMUSED
4. Slangy assent : "YEAH"
5. Battery pole : ANODE
6. Experiences regret : FEELS BAD
7. Biked : RODE
8. Marked down : ON SALE
9. Sitting Bull's tribe : SIOUX
10. Hard-to-resist impulse : URGE
11. Republican-voting area, on an election map : RED STATE
12. Peoria-to-Detroit dir. : ENE
13. Neurotic toon dog : REN and Stimpy.
21. Not destroyed or lost, as an old document : EXTANT
22. Fuels (up) : GASSES
27. France's Cote d'__ : AZUR
28. Zooey's "New Girl" role : JESS. Zooey Deschanel / Jessica Day
30. Geometric truth : AXIOM
32. Prior prisoner, for short : EX-CON. (convict)
33. Pastor's abode : MANSE. Echo of Sunday.
35. Lipton rival : NESTEA
37. Kept tabs on from behind : TAILED
38. Hardly eye-catching : DRAB
39. Repetitive learning technique : ROTE
40. Better than expected : ABOVE PAR
41. North-south coordinate : LATITUDE. Partnered with longitude.
46. Rejoices : EXULTS. Exalt is to hold in high esteem.
48. Post-rehab support group : AL-ANON
49. "Thank you __, ma'am" : KINDLY
50. English Channel county : SUSSEX
52. "The Taming of the __" : SHREW
54. Formally gave up : CEDED
57. Powerful TV princess : XENA
58. Breeze (along) : SAIL
59. Casino game : FARO. An old card game but casinos probably have figured a way to increase the house cut.
60. HP products : PCs
61. Word after clip or pop : ART